9.11.2010

scenes from life with boys

In the trendy cupcake shop on East 7th Street.
Broadway tunes station on satellite radio playing.
From the speakers, a familiar melody begins:


"I been working so hard
Keep punching my card
Eight hours, for what
Oh, tell me what I got...".

At this point AJ is mortified as I'm singing and suppressing the urge to break into the underpass choreography.

(Behind the counter, two perky 20-somethings.)
Cutie-Patootie #1: What show is this?
Cutie-Patootie #2: I don't know.

Me to Cutie-Patootie #1 (incredulously): It's Footloose!
(then, in attempt to not sound like the 30-something that can't believe there are 20-somethings who haven't heard of Rush): Have you seen the movie?

Cutie-Patootie #2: Oh they made a movie based on the show?! That's awesome. You know, they did the same thing with Hairspray.

(beat)
(beat)


Auden: Mama, why are you making that face?

No comments: