2.22.2011

because it's monday



I forgot it was Monday.  Technically, it's now Tuesday.  Oops.  Three-day weekends and all.

Auden has been convalescing with fever for three days, I was down with stomach funk on Sunday, we got three more inches of snow, and I'm looking down the barrel of a ton of work this week, that I had planned to spend the weekend getting ahead on....

I had a phone conversation with a friend today who has received some unsettling lab results and will require further follow-up.  I found out today that a woman I was friends with in college died two weeks ago with a condition normally attributable to a person much older than she was.  I've not been in touch with her in the fifteen years since we graduated, but have felt sadness well up nonetheless.  But, after these two discoveries, suddenly my "lost" weekend didn't seem like such a big damn deal.

We're all familiar with these perspective-offering moments that usually show up when we least expect them, but most benefit from them.  So, despite everything in that first paragraph that might have been the story I told of this weekend, let me offer you this:

My dear friend from school, Erin, took and passed her nursing board exam on Friday and is now an RN.  Colton and I spent a delightful few hours this afternoon in Brooklyn at the beautiful home of a friend who is fabulous enough to invite a bunch of winter-weary 3-year-olds (and their winter-wearier parents) for a grand afternoon playdate.  I've discovered the best remedy for my winter blues is to turn the boys loose with Photo Booth on my laptop and check out the pictures after they go to bed.

So, these are the things that got me through my Monday.








No comments: