2.08.2011

a week of v-day: smitten

a week long ode to that wily rascal, cupid
From orkposters.com via Street Anatomy.
Jam Tart
--W.H. Auden

I'm a jam tart, I'm a bargain basement, 
I'm a work of art, I'm a magic casement, 
A coal cellar, an umbrella, a sewing machine, 
A radio, a hymn book, an old french bean, 
I don't know what I am, 
You've cast a spell on me. 

I'm a dog's nose, I'm Sir Humphrey Davy, 
I'm a Christmas rose, I'm the British Navy, 
A motor, a bloater, a charcoal grill, 
An octopus, a towpath, Hindenburg's will, 
A villiage fair, a maiden's prayer, the BBC, a pram – 
I don't know what I am, 
You've cast a spell on me. 

I'm a salmon, I'm a starting pistol, 
I'm backgammon, I'm the Port of Bristol. 
A Times leader, a child's feeder, an aspirin, 
The Ritz Hotel, a boy scout, the wages of sin, 
A shaving brush, a schoolgirl's crush, the letter B, a ham – 
I don't know what I am, 
You've cast a spell on me. 

I'm an off–break, I'm a clump of beeches, 
I'm a tummy ache, I'm Mussolini's speeches, 
I'm Balmoral, I'm a sorrel mare, I'm a tug 
A cigarette, an organ, a big bed–bug 
A traffic sign, a rubber mine, a coffee tree, O damn – 
I don't know what I am, 
You've cast a spell on me. 

No comments: